The Toolkit outlines best practice techniques for assessing biomass resource potentials as a foundation for a biomass resource assessment. Biomass resource assessment is indispensable in estimating the bioenergy potential in a given location, the social and environmental impacts accompanying the resources production and the economic viability of biomass utilization scenarios.
The scope of the Toolkit covers:
- Resource potential – theoretical, technical, economic or implementation potential
- Approaches for estimation of resource potential – (resource focused, demand driven or integrated approach)
- General principles, techniques and methods when undertaking a biomass resource assessment
- Forest biomass and methods for resource assessment
- Energy crops and methods for resource assessment
- Agricultural residues and methods for resource assessment
- Organic waste and methods for resource assessment
- Global and country specific tools to make preliminary resource assessment and how to use them
The classification in types of biomass potentials is the first and most important step when undertaking a biomass resource assessment as it provides insight into explicit conditions, assumptions and limitation made in the assessment. The potential of the resource will define the feasibility of the project, return on investments, environmental considerations, coupled with social and political frameworks.
Details of the Resource Assessment Toolkit for Biomass Energy may be downloaded here: